Thursday, January 31, 2013

...And the Rest of the Story


I’m glad you are back. Now for the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say:

Anyway, here’s the sad part of my life—I am wondering if a mourning period for a loved one (how long should it last?) is also what is keeping me from writing. Those of you who know me personally, know I lost my brother just before the holidays (Dec 10, 2012) and I was in the middle of moving, with my mother, for the second time (had to shop for everything that goes into a house because I sold it or left it all in Alaska). It is very hard to get over this loss and some days are harder than others, but concentrating on writing and just getting through a day with my mother, who may be in early Alzheimer’s, does help.

So now I am taking one day at a time, and I do kick myself for not writing every day. But a few other reasons for not writing is the fact that now I’m wondering if I am good enough, can I pull off anything better than the last one in contemporary romance, although my book was a recommended read by USA Today’s Happy Ever After Blog in December 2011, which was truly a great honor and surprise. I like to read murder mysteries and historical romances, so I am trying my hand at what I like to read and worried I won’t be able to do it. Am I making excuses to not write? Maybe, but I do know I am in the not-good-enough mode and trying desperately to figure out how to get out of it.

I will keep with this blog and see how it goes for this year. I hope to be bringing more upbeat information about me and my writing, and hope to see you here.

Here is a little a taste of what I have been working on and maybe by giving you this little taste, it will help me keep focused on my writing path:

~ A series of romantic murder mysteries set in SE Alaska, where I have lived for the past ten years. I am going to write two short stories to introduce you to the two main characters and how they got through their life in the lower 48 up until they moved to SE Alaska. Then I hope to write three full length novels with these two main characters; book two has already been started.

~ A psychological serial killer (contemplating setting this one in Alaska too). This book, in my mind, is unique and therefore I don’t want to give too much away about it here. I am six chapters into this one. But I tell you, when you get in an angry, frustrating, pissed off mood, it is really easy to switch gears and write a chapter or two in this one—writing the next victim.

~ A fictional mainstream story my father and I started when he first moved back to Alaska in 1991 and though he passed away in Nov 2005, I am going to get this one finished even if it kills me. It will also be set in SE Alaska and set in modern times.

~ Either a contemporary romance or romantic suspense (I could write it as either) which is set in Hawaii I started over 20 years ago. I have about half of this one written and need to figure out which way I want to go with it.

~ A time travel historical romantic suspense I started over 20 years ago with about 11 chapters into it. Recently, I have been doing research and think I have figured out how I can write about a 3-5 novel series with the two main characters.

~ And lots of others. I don’t get writer’s block in the true sense of the words, I get stuck. So I just move on to another book until, for whatever reason, I get stuck.

So please bear with me as I continue on this writing journey and I hope to give you wonderful stories to read.

My next blog post I hope will be sooner and will be about healthy writing and writing healthy. Please come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment